Sunday, May 10, 2009

Laughing with 41 Disabled Adults


I led a laughter program recently for 41 adults, some physically disabled, many developmentally disabled. It was a beautiful thing!

They all participated in their own way and to their own degree. Some were in wheelchairs with little control over their bodies, yet it was my hope that the energy of laughter affected them positively. Many were sweet, simple, gentle human beings who glowed and giggled, smiled and played along.

An engaging young man, wheelchair- bound with little control over his physical self, conversed with me in extremely slow and slurred speech. He let me know how much he had been looking forward to this laughter session. He had heard about it from somewhere else and he was ready. He inquired what I had in my plastic bags, which I told him were some props, just to make the laughter more fun. He wanted to know if I had a website and what could he google in order to find it. He’s part of another group that meets monthly. He felt they would love this too. I was so touched by this astute young man with physical challenges I can’t imagine living with. Touched and inspired by his positive spirit and his involvement in life, to the best of his ability.

But most inspiring to me were the staff. So many bright cheerful uplifting people. They all participated fully in the program, including the director and assistant director, really making it happen. Two of them even want to become Certified Laughter Leaders. What a wonderful place. I feel blessed to have visited them.

No comments: