Friday, January 29, 2010

Laughing Lettuce


Props props and more props. It’s one thing I love about my laughter programs.

Recently I attended one lovely harp concert at Dusty Strings. Just beautiful. But Dusty Strings itself is an experience. Try loving music and leaving there without spending money. I couldn’t. It was the lettuce maracas that stole my heart. And tomatos, and corn and eggplant.

I starting using props in my laughter programs with seniors many years ago. With all participants seated, and with less energy than the general population, and often without much laughter in their lives, I felt the need for an extra boost to stimulate the laughter exercises, and to keep them going. So I added colorful scarves, bright feathers, multi-sized balls and whatever else I could think up to add to our routine. It’s been a gas, very effective and I’ve made them a part of almost all my laughter programs. More fun. Why not?

I started using maracas in the morning to get myself going with my two –minute wake-up laughter routine. Kind of shake the laughter out of me and keep it flowing. Thus the maraca laugh was born. Vegetable maracas are just over the top. Come to Phinney Laughter Club some day and maybe you’ll be the lucky one to get the laughing lettuce maraca.

No comments: