Monday, January 17, 2011

Clown Nose

When I was certified as a laughter leader back in April of 2002, I was given a clown nose as part of a gift package of laughter goodies.

But I quickly learned that it wasn’t my style. I’ve always known that I’m not the clown type, but I thought I could at least manage to don a clown nose.

So I tried it only once at one of my first ongoing laughter clubs at a retirement community. One of many such clubs I would lead over the years.

Sure a senior or two chuckled when they saw me. “Great” I thought “This brings more laughter.”

But as soon as I started the laughter session, I felt hidden behind it. Even though it was just a clown nose. But it was big and bright and red and to a certain extent hid my true spirit. No I was right. It wasn’t my style.

Laughter bonds. Laughter connects people. Laughter is contagious. Laughter is magnetic. Laughter is so huge and powerful, a clown nose pales in comparison. Most importantly I understood that I was teaching people to laugh as an expression of joy, an expression of our truest selves. The clown nose simply detracted from all that. I wanted people to laugh with me, not at the prop on my face. Instead of laughing at my goofiness, laugh with my joyfulness. Catch the true spirit of laughter.

That’s my stand on clown noses.

Photo: Wikimedia

2 comments:

Mindy Halleck said...

Lovely blog, Teresa. Laughter is critical to wellness. As a three time cancer survivor I know I leaned on it a great deal, even when it hurt to laugh, I laughed, and then I healed. Hope to see you at Louisa's again soon. Mindy www.mindyhalleck.blogspot.com

Teresa Verde said...

Thanks Mindy! Yes I have learned it's often those who've been through it all, who have what it takes to laugh. Thanks for sharing a piece of your story.