Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Memory of Laughter

My mother passed away several years ago on Valentine’s Day – surrounded by love.

The best memory I have of her is when we laughed together like two teenage girls. I can’t remember a single thing that we were laughing about, only that we would get on that roll of giggling that only girls can do. Unlike myself my mother didn’t laugh often, but when she did, it was so nice.

Laughter is bonding. It brings people together like nothing else. Comedian Victor Borge said “Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.” When you laugh with someone you feel instantly connected. I have laughed with total strangers who, in that one joyful instant, become like close friends. I believe it’s because laughter opens the heart. Anger, stress, hurt, irritation and sadness melt away. In the healing moment of a laugh, our spirits give way to feel the connection we all have with one another as human beings.

Robert Provine, in his book Laughter: A Scientific Investigation, explains his theory that laughter developed in our species as a bonding mechanism. It’s a way for a parent and baby to connect before the development of language. Or a way of diffusing tension between strangers who don’t share the same cultures.

Laughing with my mother is the memory I cherish the most. In and between our many differences, we were at our best when we laughed.

Photo: Nancy

No comments: