Monday, February 15, 2010

Medicate Yourself with Humor



I had a very upsetting 24 hours recently, when I had an argument with someone I’m close to. And so I didn’t feel at all like laughing . This felt a bit hypocritical since I was leading a laughter program in 2 days and since I promote the idea that, if you can laugh when things aren’t going well, this is a tremendous life skill. Nevertheless when you fight with someone you love, it feels like your whole world has fallen apart. And you just don’t care about laughing.

So I did what I sometimes do when I need an extra boost to get laughing, I turned to Jon Stewart and The Daily Show. Now sometimes Jon Stewart does it for me and sometimes he doesn’t. Sometimes his humor is counterproductive since he basically pokes fun at the right wing conservatives, which for me is just great, but sometimes it’s also very depressing and upsetting to see and hear what the right wing conservatives are putting out there. But this time Jon pulled through with some really funny laugh-out-loud stuff and it got me laughing again.

When I was really down, I medicated myself with humor and it helped.

No comments: