Monday, March 21, 2011

The Earth Laughs in Flowers

I bought myself flowers at the farmer’s market today. As I soak up the beauty they exude, I think of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s quote: “The Earth Laughs in Flowers.”

Whenever I’ve tried to put the beauty of a flower into words, my words fall so far short, I leave it alone and don’t even try. Today feels that way. This bouquet of stunning oranges, golds and reds is a visual essence I could never relay to you. But as I think of Emerson’s quote – I think of how beautiful we are when we laugh. Is a roomful of people laughing really like a bouquet of flowers in full bloom? One of my laughter club members told a reporter as much once. She said, “Everyone here looks so beautiful laughing.” It is the most precious comment I’ve heard about my laughter club.

Laughing brings up the joyful essence of who we are. Laughing people are like flowers in bloom. And like those flowers I can’t really convey it in words. You’ve got to experience it for yourself. May you enjoy a laughing day today.

Photo: Stock.xchnge

No comments: