Thursday, April 7, 2011

It's been 10 Years!

It’s been 10 years! Kevin Wilhelmson at Harborview Hospital and myself at Phinney Neighborhood Center and elsewhere. Along with a few others, we are the pioneers of Laughter Yoga in Seattle and Washington State. More than that we have achieved staying power in birthing and maintaining steady laughter clubs in the area. Bravo! I’m proud of us.

For me, laughter is as much as part of me as breathing. I couldn’t live without it. As I’ve always considered it my best trait, I knew this was my calling the moment I heard of it. Then because laughter yoga was instrumental in my own healing, I made it my life’s work.

In October of 2001, I created my first public laughter club, a timing that I consider relevant. When much of the world was in shock, I knew it was time to bring more laughter into our public consciousness and into the world.

Initially we met weekly in the Red Room at Phinney Neighborhood Center. Then I took time away to build a business leading laughter programs for “anyone who’ll pay me”. Many of them in retirement communities. Missing the spontaneity of a public club, I created one again at Roaring Mouse Studio, which eventually moved back to Phinney Neighborhood Center (now in the Blue Room). I’ve come full circle.

At Phinney Laughter Club I never know who’s coming; or how many, what ages, genders or degree of rustiness in their laughter muscles. It’s a spontaneous surprise every meeting and I love it that way.

Long live Laughter Yoga!!!

Photo: Kevin in his hat doing his thing!

No comments: