Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dashboard Buddha

The car in front of me sent me into peals of laughter as I spotted its dashboard Buddha swaying along back and forth on its springs of delight.

The car of my childhood, my father’s 1960s Dodge, sported that quintessential Catholic feature - a dashboard Jesus. So I got the joke immediately.

Robert DeNiro got himself in trouble the other day for using a bit of satire; that most explosive kind – racial, when he asked if we were ready for a white First Lady.

Humor is a tricky game.

You’ve got to know your audience; they’ve got to know you; and they’ve got to understand your intentions.

When I’m with people who don’t know me, they don’t always understand my humor. Sometimes nobody laughs and it all falls flat and God knows what they think of me. Just trying to loosen everyone up and have a few laughs.

DeNiro apologized and we all return to the boring world of political correctness, a real downer for humor.

But I definitely got it about the dashboard deity springing along down the road to a bit more fun in this world.

No comments: